Friday, September 28, 2012



Since I have been boycotting all dog treats from China, I took the suggestion from a Lagotto friend and decided to make my own chicken jerky.

I purchased a food dehydrator (lists at about $60.00).  I purchased boneless chicken breasts on sale and froze them.  When partially thawed, they are easier to slice.  Photo shows the 4 layers in the dehydrator and the cover.  I used just under 3.5 pounds of sliced chicken to fill my dehydrator.






It takes about 7 hours for this amount of chicken to dry.  Notice the lighter color on the dried piece on left side, it was thicker and didn't fully dry so I gave that to the dogs right away.  I keep some of the pieces in a treat jar and freeze the rest so I don't have to worry about freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment